Saturday, June 12, 2010

Friday nite series June 11

New NP9.5 & 490 x9 arrived today. Just in time.
Thanks to Shawn Davis for the photo

Booms as high as possible
Tack strap tight to give bottom deep shape
Good upwind drive and angle w/ kashy 70 and mast at 44"
Started low on the line as windy looked iffy on inside.
Wind18-22k
Race 1 rounded 4th behind Crad, All and Seth all going deep to B.
I stayed out of the harness pumped and got around B in 1 gube w/ Seth
rounding wide.On the exit, I got the jump and was off to X
NP accelerates nicely. Rotates with ease.
I rounded bottom mark with Seth just behind but let him call the layline and he just beat me.

Race 2 saw similar but fading conditions on inside. I went for mid line start again. And overstood top mark to accomdate for flood. Good choice as other had to double tack.
At leeward mark I rounded behind Seth and tacked immedialy as it was dead and flooding hard inside. As we tacked Jean Eric and others came around leeward marknin cluster. I pumped off well below Eric and went for speed and I looked like I would get the win as I tacked to make
the pin and crossed Seth but the flood shut the door as he and others overstood and came down with speed and hooked the finsih.


Race 3 saw just a few get off the line. I was mid line while Crad got the jump at B and the inside lift with Seth behind.
Downwind wind was still squirly and we had to make 4 gybes down to X. Sailing in close proximity to Seth I felt new sail performed well- very easy to handle, draft stable.
I should have pulled off a 2nd but again didn't line up the finish line and got pushed down in the flood.

Overall 3rd behind Crad and Seth for the evening as the wind line was just far enough out to make 2 more races nearly impossible.

After 3 races Seth and I sailed up to GG bridge. Testing angle and speed.
Well matched.
Downwind sail lacked the grunt of north 10 and was a bit higher in the lulls.

Still time to work on this!

Frustrating Finish 6-11-2010 Friday Night Formula from waterhound.com on Vimeo.


No comments: