Friday, November 30, 2007

Worlds Day 3

3 more races today in a building breeze with better results for me with 1 race in the top 30- moving me up a few spots overall. I was making some big gains today in the middle of the fleet and was finally able to make some good decisions based on my speed and angle.
Up in front of the fleet it was Antoine taking another 3 bullets with Gonzo and Steve Allen pushing hard.
Ill make this report quick as the last 3 days have taken a toll racing and being in the sun all afternoon and still another 2 more to go.
In the first race, disaster stuck as I found some plastic bags around the course and had to back down to get them off- loosing 5-10 boards each time. I wasnt too lucky holding my position off the line being slightly underpowered on the 9.9 and 68 kashy. I was forced to sail in dirty air and even had to double tack the windward mark. Thinking the race was over, it all came back the 2nd upwind when I got a great right shift putting me back in the top 25 and then finding the plastic bag on the next 2 lags.
Race 2 and 3 brought better results as I was able to find the groove and make some good moves around the course. I changed a few settings but most importantly I made my sail more powerful by sailing with a lot more draft. Upwind, I really tried to stand the rig up and hike out- using my height to all its advantage. This worked well especially off the leeward mark, climbing to the finish- gaining 10 boards on the last leg.
5 more races over the next 2 days. Forecast looks lighter....
here's the video of days 3's racing from Bogo:

Sieplywa.pl : 3rd racing day in Fortaleza from Bogodesign.net on Vimeo.

Special thanks to the following organizations for the funding at this event:
The St. Francis Foundation, The Richmond Yacht Club Foundation and The Belvedere Cove Foundation. In addition- Eduardo Owen of NEXT SPORTS for his generous equipment sponsorship!

No comments: